Tuesday 2 January 2007

Gotta love them airports...

Talk about a great start to the trip – the damn flight (Air Canada) got cancelled out of Sydney. Supposed to leave at 9:30am New Year’s Day but after an hour waiting on the plane for them to fix one of the engines, we were off loaded, waited another hour and then we were informed that it wouldn’t be until at least 2pm on Jan 2nd (which would mean I would miss the first game of the trip) – what a goddamn disaster. I wasn’t sure if I was going to let the severe liquor depression overwhelm me and quietly weep in the terminal corner or turn into Mr Furious. Not surprisingly, Mr Furious surfaced and I set out, with a fully loaded trolley, on a mission to find an alternate flight to Calgary.

United – nothing (fully booked on every flight for 2 days), Qantas – nothing (unless I was willing to spend $5500 for a ticket to LA, which just caused more rage). And I was really impressed that the United and Qantas service desks were at opposite ends of the terminal to make sure I worked up a good sweat..I hope you get a feel of what the look on my face was! Next stop, New Zealand Air and finally some good news – seats available! Urge to kill subsided. In the end, I was able to get Air Canada to sign over my original flight coupons to Air NZ and didn’t have to pay for the change of flight.

New flight: Sydney to Auckland, Auckland to LA, LA to Calgary. Of course, when I got to LA, the Air Canada flight is delayed so I didn’t get into Calgary until after 11pm New Year’s Day. I managed to get planty of sleep on the Auckland to LA leg, a bit more in LA and some good old night terrors on the way to Calgary. Not sure what brought those on but dang, some crazy shit was happening in my dreams. Art and Pyke were waiting for me at the airport and 20 minutes later I was enjoying a nice cold Keiths! Art arrived around 7pm having travelled over 5000 km from NS to Calgary in 5 days. He gets a couple of days rest now before chauffeuring me for the rest of the trip together!! Ha!

Total hours spent flying, awake or in an airport on New Year’s Day 2007: 36

On a more positive note:
Check out the shirt the boys back in Sydney had done up for me. Wore this one for the whole plane trip so might have to burn it now but I had plenty of people stop me in Sydney and Auckland, read the shirt and then walk off with a confused look on their face. Hopefully, I will get a better response over here!

Front:


Back:


Have to say a big thanks to Bari for the lift to the airport and for doing some last minute flight searches for me and to Pyke, for picking me up in Calgary and putting me (and Art) up for a few days.

Pyke and I are off to Edmonton tomorrow to meet Park and DG – Go Oilers!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Perfect scenario...Mac starting the trip in a rage!!! Good to here you made it though....waiting to here the stories with Park and Don!!!

ED

Anonymous said...

What a start mate! Gives me confidence for the trip to LA-NYC in April!
Brad

Anonymous said...

I love this trip. I can really empathize with the sweat-on you had at that airport. I've been there. Hey, if you're looking for a little reading to do while your Dad drives you everywhere, try to find "The Best Game You Can Name" by Dave Bidini (from the band Rheostatics). Great Canadian hockey lore told through interviews with former pros, etc.
Looking forward to the updates!

Fazza said...

Hey Crazy Canadian,
Happy New Year (though i'm sure it didn't feel like that for you given the start to your trip!) Thankfully you made it on another flight. Keep the bloggs coming - I look fwd to updates - espcially the road trips with Art.

Take Care,
Fazza xx

Anonymous said...

I am completely jealous.

Just made the 16 hour drive from New Glasgow back to Ottawa and yet I am up watching the Edmonton game wishing I was there.

Need to start coming up with business trips that intersect with the game schedule.

Doug

Anonymous said...

I was almost in a MacLean rage when I first read this! Thought you spent another night in Sydney and didn't let me know!!! Sorry I was dead to the world when you picked up your bags on New Year's but didn't go to sleep until 5:30 am and was in no shape for waking up in any way, shape or form!

Glad to hear the flights worked out and you met up with Little Artie who managed to make it safe and sound! Say 'hello' for me!

Enjoy your first game!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonja

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,
Read your article in the Evening News. Very Nice!!!
Sorry we couldn't hook up with you in Vancouver. You'll have to hit the ROCK before you leave for Aussie.
We are going to be staying put here!!
Take care and happy hockey!
Love Hollie and Nick