Sunday 21 January 2007

What's ups stand for?



Game 8 and what a beauty (and we got there in plenty of time)! The Avs finally got a win over the Red Wings (I think it was their first win in 7 encounters against them). End result: 3 – 1. The Colorado crowd gets to fly the flag as the best damn hockey fans so far experienced. It was an enjoyable game to attend as there were heaps of Detroit fans there to keep the Avs fans honest.
One notable player was Pictou County native Joey MacDonald, who was the starting goaltender for the Red Wings. He played a great game as well – go County!



Besides the game, it was all about the road trip while getting to Denver. I finally got to ski in the Rocky Mountains, which was cool. Spent Thursday at Durango Mountain Resort skiing Purgatory Mountain. As there was no one around, I felt like I had the whole place to myself. No lines for lifts, plenty of snow and not a cloud in the sky…Factory!

A photo from the lift...sorry but I forgot the pics with all the massive air I was getting on the jumps:


Now, if you ever come to Durango, Colorado you absolutely have to get your yearly intake of meat at this place – Serious Texas Bbq. The Thursday night special was smoked turkey leg, only about a kilo (or Art says, “You know, like a 2lb turkey leg!”). Good thing we decided to wash it down with some pinto beans, sliced brisket and some good old Louisiana hot sauce (oh, and a couple of local brews). Would have loved to been there on a Monday for $1 rib night!!

For those of you with a map or atlas, we departed Durango Friday morning and made our way via the 160 to the 285 all the way to Denver. Went through some impressive mountain passes (the ol' Rav was put through it's paces), saw some Elk doing nothing and enjoyed another stunning day of blue sky and sunshine.

Who's getting tired of landscape photos??? Too bad:


One last note as I know most of you hate reading too many words...after an under whelming response for the naming of the GPS competition and an unanimous vote of 2-0, our GPS will be named - Perdy. Congratulations to Lisa for the winning entry: “Went on a baby name website and searched names that meant "lost". Apparently Perdita means lost with the english version of the name being Perdy. (Yes, I am on mat leave and have too much time on my hands.) – Lisa”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys - sounds like you are having the time of your life! Wish I was there but back in Pictou County trying to win a couple of hockey games myself. Enjoying reading about your adventure.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,
Mom and Dad just called me and told me about the MacLean big adventure! I hope you are having a great time. Let me know if you need a place to crash when you are in the Detroit area. I am about 1 hour from Joe Louis Arena..you can contact me at bluewaterrx@propharm.ca

Safe travels....
Darryl Moore

Anonymous said...

Chris..forgot to ask...do you need a ticket to the Detroit game?

Darryl