Sunday 11 March 2007

Do You Believe...



I did, until Buffalo got thumped! In what I was hoping (and so was the sellout crowd) would be my first home team win in 5 games turned out to be an absolute nightmare for the Sabres. The nightmare began when the the first time the whistle was blown was a goal for the Wild - 5 minutes of play from the start without a whistle! In the end it was a 5 - 1 loss for the Sabres.



Both teams are fast...especially Gaborik, who is very (insert expletive) fast. For those geographically challenged, Buffalo is very close to the Canadian border so I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised to see Labbatt for sale in the pub before the game but I was surprised that they sang both the Canadian and American national anthems before the game even though there was no Canadian team playing. I am told that since the Maple Leafs games are corporate events, a lot of Canadians purchase season tickets to the Sabres or come over for the games. You could tell, it was hockey, hockey, hockey...and a lot of booing and frustration when the Sabres were getting over run.



Vicki travelled to Buffalo (her home town) with me so I was put up by her family friends just outside the city. Getting to meet some local Buffaloians (not sure if that is right or not??) was great. Quote of the day would have to have been when I asked her Dad what the main industry is in Buffalo and he responded,"Nothing." A comment that seemed to be true as we entered the city on the subway and I noticed how many shops were closed down in downtown of the city. Seems like Buffalo is or has been going through a rough time.

View of mountains and tower in New Paltz:


Enough of the depressing stats...here's something more positive - Buffalo Wings but not in Buffalo as they are only referred to as Wings and I managed to squeeze 2 lbs into my belly before the game!! I was also, forced, to eat a Ted's World Famous Charcoaled Broiled Hot Dog before I left town - I submitted more easily than you would think! I also HAD to take a Roast Beef sandwich on Kimmelweck with me - it was fantastic and would warrant another stop in Buffalo just to get another one!

For all you bird lovers, here's a Cardinal that I saw in New Paltz:

4 comments:

Unknown said...

correct we do call ourselves buffalonians!

Anonymous said...

MacLean, you ate more food in Buffalo in one day then we had in 5 days. Keep up the good work tubby.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, Happy Birthday tomorrow, March 14 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Can't WAIT to see you! Awesome blogs. Love ya lots, Auntie T xoxoxo...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Chris! - From one Pieces to another. :)